Reflection 18: Noise sensitivity

 A couple of days prior to my surgery and part of the work-up protocol for the operation, I had my hearing on both ears tested. For word recognition at 80 dB, my right ear was 44%, my left at 28%. That means for every 100 words spoken, my left ear (the one I am left with) recognizes only 28 words. That is not as good as 50 but it is better than 25%. What is is. Similar to not receiving twice the hourly rate I currently receive for my teaching, I learn to manage with what I receive. One must.

 There is much information on the Audiological Report. Such reports should be a part of everyone's medical portfolio.

 Wow, 28 words out of 100! No wonder I find myself practicing lip-reading at every opportunity. Even more so now that I have lost my right ear. (When I awoke from surgery, the ward doctor told me that I lost my right ear. He was absolutely correct. I have been looking for it ever since he told me that...and I cannot for the life of me find it!)

 I have found that the brain is most adaptable to change. I always knew that but I keep getting reminded of this fact. Ever since I became deaf on one side, amazingly my left ear has become more sensitive to sound. I am now very much attuned to noise pollution. Sound seems louder than what I remember. Busses are noisier. Trucks are. Motorcycles have always been noise polluters, but more so now. Emergency vehicles are the worst. This is an interesting phenomenon.

 I have now resorted to blocking the sound so only a little actually penetrates the ear. I have even gone to the extent of purchasing ear plugs (you cannot buy just one). Now when I encounter noise that seems too loud, I put a plug into the left ear. (Plugs are well designed. They allow a little noise in so the individual is not completely deaf. This is for reason of safety.) So this is one strategy that I have taken.

 Another is a sound meter. I downloaded an android app for my cell phone. (A person can find an app for just about anything these days.) I use it quite often. Any noise above 80 dB is a caution. It is quite a hand tool. It could be for anyone. 

 I have found that there are workarounds. It simply takes a little thinking through the situation and coming up with an acceptable solution for myself. I have caught myself reminding myself to look down the correct end of the telescope more than on one occasion (Reflection 16). Things become clearer when I do.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection 7: Whose body is it anyway?

7. Two Kingdoms

Reflection 29: Sarah