Reflection 25: "Oyez. Oyez. Oyez!"

 "Oyez. Oyez. Oyez." This Middle English phrase means "Hear ye. Hear ye. Hear ye." Along with shouting these words, the Town Crier rings a bell. He is dressed in eye-catching, colourful clothing and wearing a tricorne hat. The attention of citizens is captured almost immediately. Important public announcements are then made.

 CancerCare Manitoba employs this proven Medieval English practice in the Radiation Department. Each patient when they have completed their last Radiation Treatment is invited to ring the bell. The staff that are present in the room smile and clap indicating their approval of the individual's accomplishment. People within ear-shot hear the bell ringing that acknowledges a milestone has been reached by another survivor.

 This is a worthy tradition. The morale of all individuals goes up. There are smiles all around!

***

 The bell ringing indicates the closing of a chapter in the life of the survivor. It also indicates the opening of a new one. I feel that I have a new lease on life. I feel a sense of accomplishment. I feel happier. I feel a deeper appreciation of people around me...even strangers. It is a little like receiving my first university degree...only bigger. I want to stand on top of Mount Everest and shout my appreciation to the universe. I want to give everyone a hug and suggest to them what a wonderful day today is, even though there is an autumn chill in the air and it's raining. I just feel-good. Very good! 

 Now what? Those two little words are not so simple. There is more there than meets the eye. At the moment my belief is to return to a routine. I feel that is important. Cancer is an anomaly. Before Cancer (BC) my routine was comfortable. I long to get back at being comfortable. BC I spent 20+ years teaching college students. That's me. I am a teacher. That is what I want to do even though my hearing has been substantially reduced. 

 Is this nothing more than wishful thinking? Well, John Milton wrote Paradise Lost when he was blind. Beethoven wrote many masterpieces after he was completely deaf by the age of 44 years. How did they accomplish these seemingly impossible feats? My research suggests that both experimented and found strategies that worked for them. So why not? My current mindset is thinking through strategies that will work for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5. Empathy is Key

Reflection 29: Sarah

7. Two Kingdoms