Signing

Yesterday. I found myself in a nondescript mall near a nondescript food court. I deduced that it was popular because it was full of people of all descriptions. It was noon, so folks were in the same state as me, hungry.

Walking past the array of offerings, I am always on the hunt for something Asian. I prefer this food because it is traditionally more nutritious than the typical cuisine of over- fat, salted and deep fried American. I can taste most Asian food. Since going through many radiation treatments 18 months ago, taste is still challenging. Besides, I get to use chopsticks. I always like practicing with these utensils.

Aha, Thai Delights! Now, this will do.

Following the customary ‘good afternoon’ exchange between the young Asian-looking server and myself, she began to talk about their special for the day. Catching only a few words, I immediately raised an open right-hand palm and said, "Whoa!" I showed her my information card that indicates my difficulty with hearing.

She immediately stopped talking, made her right hand into a fist and moved it over her heart; rotating it slowly counter-clockwise a few times. Researching later in the afternoon, I find this sign means ‘sorry.’

I was beside myself. The lady behind the counter obviously thinks that I know how to sign. But I don’t. Remaining mute and embarrassed, I just pointed and using body language I did manage to receive what I thought I wanted to eat.

I was lost in thought about my experience with that young lady during my entire meal. I was thinking about the intellectual gap between the two of us. I certainly was on the shallow end of capability. Yes, she was busy since it was the noon hour, but wouldn’t it have been nice — real nice -- if I could communicate with her in a more proper and dignified way.

By the end of my meal, I came to a decision. I would learn a second language, an L2 as people in the sign language community sign. I have always hesitated about embarking on such an enterprise. My reason is: Who am I going to talk to? Why learn Tagalog, for example, if I don't normally talk to Filipinos? This false premise dissolved like my ice cubes in the drink she served.

My mind is set.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection 29: Sarah

5. Empathy is Key

7. Two Kingdoms