Reflection: 14 - Oh those eyes - The importance of human contact 

I am thinking of the popular song Those Eyes sung by Pamela Lillard as I write this Reflection today. 

This may seem too obvious but human contact is the "heart and soul" of the healthcare team. Patients would not easily get well without it. The technology is awe-inspiring. There is no question that the protocols and training facilitate wellness. But it is the human contact that brings it all together.  The people in the healthcare system know that. I will give two examples and expand on the second. 

 The first happened in pre-op with the anesthesiologist. I refer you to the Reflection 10 (The drug doctor). She certainly knew the importance of and practiced eye contact to ease me into a comfort zone.  

 The second occasion happened following my surgery. It was early morning about 10 hours following the operation. I had put in a question regarding my health care insurance coverage (from the Canadian Army). The head nurse on that particular shift paid me a visit. I asked him.

"Is my room covered by the medical insurance that I continued following my release from the Army 25 years ago? I had never exercised the option of using it so I am concerned."

 The nurse did not simply stand by my bedside and answered the question. He bent down so that we were at eye level. At first I found this a little unsettling and surprising until I thought it through and appreciated why he did that. He knew the importance of eye contact. He understood the importance of human contact.

 "Yes, you are covered," he told me in a reassuring voice.

 "Was the underwriting company actually called and questioned?" I queried.

 "Yes it was." You have nothing to worry about except getting better.

 I quickly fell back to sleep.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection 7: Whose body is it anyway?

7. Two Kingdoms

Reflection 29: Sarah