Reflection 20: PART 1 - Radiation Therapy

 Dear reader, a clarification. When I was part-way through writing this blog, I decided to divide it into two parts; Radiation Therapy and Nutrition. There are two reasons behind this decision. First, I want to maintain my objective of keeping each blog short enough that you will come back over and over again. This, I fear cannot be accomplished if I include both Radiation Therapy and Nutrition in one. Second, Nutrition as it applies in radiation treatments is a large enough subject on its own. 

____________________________

PART 1 - Radiation Therapy

 The day finally arrived. (Do I faintly hear a muffled drum roll?) Radiation Therapy is about to begin. The first step is getting a custom fit for a mask that will stabilize my head and neck when the radiation is actually applied. Radiation treatment is an exact science insofar as they want to pinpoint and aim the radiation beam(?) on the exact spot. (Note: Please remember dear reader that my understanding in all my blogs is short on scientific knowledge and long on personal feelings and emotions.) Knowing this does not make the uneasiness of making a mask any easier. I must admit to you that it is a little unnerving because it covers your face. Yes, you can see and breath. But still.... However, it is all part of the protocol. Members of your team are always at your side and talk to you as the mask is formed. They are a great comfort. 

 Following the making and fitting of your personal mask, the next step is the actual scheduling of and applying the therapy. I was prescribed 20 treatments. 

 But first, a word about this place, CancerCare Manitoba. 

 What continues to amaze and gives me comfort is the thoughtfulness that went into this cancer treatment facility. I imagine that each department went through many discussions on the layouts before the blueprints were finalized. The Radiation Department is no exception.

 It is housed in the basement. They call it Level 0. I think this name was chosen to be politically correct. But it is the basement. I suspect it is on Level 0 is because they want this facility to be below the ground level if radiation should escape. Also, there is less foot traffic at this level. Only the foolhardy wants crowds of people around a radiation producing machine. The waiting area is spacious in order that patients are not shoulder to shoulder. Again, this is a safety consideration. 

 Speaking of the waiting area, my hat is off to the patient scheduler and receptionists. I have undertaken seven treatments to date. There has never been more than four or five people waiting. Again, the less number of people, the less chance of exposure if the unthinkable were to happen. 

 Another hats off to all the staff in the Radiation Department. Along with patient safety, their focus is on educating the patient. Being a college teacher, I know that knowledge of any subject is key. Before treatments begin, you are afforded a 20 to 25 minute private interview to go over what is about to take place over the next 20 treatments and any concerns that you may have. You are simply doing due diligence by reading more than once for understanding, and making notes in the booklet by the Canadian Cancer Society, Radiation Therapy: A guide for people with cancer. Educating yourself goes along way in looking after your emotional wellbeing. 

 I have found all of the staff in this department very welcoming and personable. There is a routine that is followed day in and day out. Patient after patient. It is very commendable that everyone maintains the proper perspective, decorum and graciousness for each, remembering that each is an individual who is perhaps going through radiation therapy for the first time in their life and is a little hesitant, particularly in the beginning.

 Like I mentioned, the routine is consistent. You check in with the receptionist (always receiving a sincere smile and a kind word or two), change out of your street clothing into a gown and have a short wait before being greeted by a radiation therapist (another sincere smile). Radiation therapists are the staff members who you see most often and accompanies you to the room where the treatments take place.

 Being fitted with the mask is the most unnerving part of the whole procedure. "Nobody likes this part," the radiation therapist told me. "Just try to relax and breath normally," she concluded. I did and I must confess that it is getting easier with each treatment. I am almost half-way through my treatments so I imagine by the time I get to the end -- treatment number 20 -- I will be an old hand at getting the mask put on and secured.

 As the treatment is administered, I like to close my eyes. There is a bright light that appears part of the way through the treatment and I prefer it not shine in my eyes.

 Before you know it, the treatment is done and the radiation therapist is unsnapping the mask and taking it off of your face. "We are all done for today," she announces as she helps you to sit up and get off of the table.

 I murmur, "Thank you. Its been a hoot!"

 Side effects? Other than being tired because my body is in high gear in cell building and that takes a lot of energy, here have been none. There will not be any. My positive attitude will wrestle and pin both shoulders to the mat of any side effects that try to appear. That is my frame-of-mind and I am sticking to it. I mean, whose body is it (Reflection 7)?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection 7: Whose body is it anyway?

Reflection 29: Sarah

5. Empathy is Key