Reflection 4: Day surgery

 The gravity of the situation still had not dawned on me because I really did not know that I had cancer. I was afraid to ask and my medical team assumed that "someone" had briefed me. I was under the illusion that I had some sort of a bacterial infection. 

 The surgery took a little over an hour. I was awake for the whole thing. The doctor removed the tumour and put a skin patch in its place. The theory was that the patch would hold up the ear since much of the cartilage had to be removed along with the cancer. I am saying "tumour" and "cancer" with no knowledge of that is what it was. The doctor didn't specify and I didn't  ask. Fear? Preoccupation? A little of both perhaps.

 Well, the ear drooped and became pointed. I began calling it my alien ear. 

 I was not worried about it. The doctor said that once it was healed they could make it look like a normal ear. And my infliction was gone!

 Or so my medical team and I thought.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection 7: Whose body is it anyway?

7. Two Kingdoms

Reflection 29: Sarah